We’ve put together 21 ready to use sous chef interview questions for you. Read on for more…
Despite what you might be reading online, not everyone on the planet is currently trying to hire a chef de partie. In fact, many businesses are looking for talented sous chefs to help their operations grow during these challenging economic times.
However, the competition to hire sous chefs (and any chef for that matter) continues to be fierce, so when you get to the interviewing stage of your recruitment process it’s important to be armed with a range of questions that enable you to easily assess the potential of your candidate and their fit for your role.
With this in mind, we’ve put together 21 sous chef interview questions that you can pick and choose from for your next interview. But before we get into these, let’s have a quick recap of what a sous chef role entails!
The sous chef is a key role in the kitchen hierarchy, serving as the head chef’s right-hand. They ensure a smooth kitchen operation, overseeing food prep, cooking, and plating. They collaborate with the head chef on menus, recipes, and maintaining quality, while also managing staff, assigning tasks, and acting as a mentor to junior chefs. With strong culinary skills and leadership, sous chefs should be able to handle pressure and consistently deliver great dining experiences.
21 ready to use sous chef interview questions –
1. Can you tell me about your experience as a sous chef and what you enjoy most about the role?
2. How do you ensure effective communication and coordination with the head chef and other members of the kitchen staff?
3. Can you describe a time when you had to handle a difficult or demanding customer request and how you handled it?
4. What steps do you take to maintain high standards of food quality and consistency in the kitchen?
5. How do you approach training and mentoring junior chefs or new members of the kitchen team?
6. Can you share an example of a time when you successfully managed a large-scale catering event or banquet?
7. How do you stay updated on industry trends and new cooking techniques or ingredients?
8. How do you prioritise tasks and manage your time effectively in a fast-paced kitchen environment?
9. Can you discuss a time when you had to make quick decisions on the spot to resolve an unexpected issue in the kitchen?
10. What measures do you take to ensure food safety and hygiene standards are consistently met in the kitchen?
Sous chef interview questions 11 to 21 –
11. How do you handle high-pressure situations and tight deadlines while maintaining the quality of the dishes?
12. Can you describe a time when you successfully collaborated with the front-of-house staff to ensure a smooth dining experience for customers?
13. How do you approach menu planning and development, taking into consideration customer preferences and dietary restrictions?
14. Can you share an example of a time when you had to manage and optimise food costs without compromising quality?
15. How do you encourage and foster a positive work culture and team spirit among kitchen staff?
16. Can you discuss a time when you had to resolve a conflict within your team and how you handled it?
17. How do you ensure that each dish leaving the kitchen meets your high standards for presentation and taste?
18. Can you describe a time when you implemented new systems or processes in the kitchen to improve efficiency?
19. How do you handle and minimise food waste in the kitchen, while still ensuring customer satisfaction?
20. Can you share an example of a time when you introduced a new menu item or special that became particularly popular among customers?
21. How do you balance your creativity as a chef with the need to follow recipes and maintain consistency in the dishes?
Sous chef interview questions summary
These questions should help you assess the candidate’s experience, skills, problem-solving abilities, leadership qualities, and their overall fit for your sous chef position.
The industry has changed, but has your approach to hiring chefs?
A smaller chef talent pool and much more competition means it’s vital for every employer regardless of size to utilise the most effective recruitment tools in the market to engage the talent they need.
Save yourself precious time and money by using Only Chefs – the UK’s leading chef-only direct hire platform. Plus, sign up today and get 6 weeks free access to the platform and a chance to win 12 months free access worth £3,000.